As host of MSNBC’s top-rated prime-time show, 39-year-old Rachel Maddow is every lesbian’s favorite news nerd. If you think smart is sexy then Maddow may very well be the woman of your dreams, but don’t start camping outside of the MSNBC stuidios in New York quite yet. Maddow and her 52-year-old partner Susan Mikulus have been together since 1999 and there are no signs of static on their airwaves.
Maddow is renowned as a television host, political commentator and author, but we were able to dig up these 10 facts you may not already know about her.
- She is the first openly gay anchor of a prime-time news program in the U.S.
- She was the recipient of a Rhodes Scholarship and began her postgraduate study in 1995 at Lincoln College, Oxford.
- Her first radio hosting job was at WRNX in Holyoke, Massachusetts, after she entered and won a contest the station held to find a new on-air personality.
- Maddow doesn’t have a televsion in her Massachusetts weekend home.
- She characterizes her persona in high school as “a cross between the jock and the antisocial girl.”
- She was born on April Fool’s Day 1973.
- Maddow met her partner in 1999 when Mikula hired her to do some yard work.
- Her middle name is Anne.
- She claims she’s such a terrible cook that she “can’t cook an egg.”
- Maddow participated in three sports in high school—softball, soccer and cross-country.