Since debuting for the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team (U.S. WNT) in 2001, Abby Wambach has developed into one of the most dangerous goal scorers in the international game. Second only to the legendary Mia Hamm as the all-time scoring leader for the U.S. WNT, she earned U.S. Soccer Female Athlete of the Year honors in 2010 and 2011. Abby continues to garner accolades for her on-pitch performance in 2012 as she and her U.S. WNT teammates prepare for the Summer Olympics in London.
Abby likes to do her talking on the field and prefers to keep her personal life private, but we were able to unearth these 10 tidbits about her.
- She was born in Rochester, N.Y.
- Her favorite grocery store is Wegman’s.
- She’s the youngest of seven children.
- Angelina Jolie is the person she’s not yet met, but would most like to meet.
- A Natalie Merchant concert she saw in 2000 is her all-time favorite.
- Her middle name is Abigail.
- As a 4-year-old, she scored 27 goals in three games and was transferred from a girls’ team to a boys’ team as a result.
- She was the second player taken in the 2002 WUSA draft.
- She hopes to hike the Appalachian Trail someday.
- One of her post-soccer career goals is to own a restaurant.