Pride Fund to End Gun Violence PAC – America’s only national LGBTQ political organization focused solely on gun violence prevention – announced today its endorsement of Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (FL-26).
Pride Fund is proud to stand and fight with Debbie, who is standing up to the NRA, taking action, and making progress toward a safer America. Meanwhile, her opponent Carlos Curbelo is an NRA-backed Republican who puts the gun lobby over the safety of his constituents.
Statement from Jason Lindsay, Founder & Executive Director, Pride Fund
“Debbie Mucarsel-Powell has such an amazing opportunity to turn the tide in one of the closest races in the country while fighting for the safety of Americans and Floridians,” said Jason Lindsay, Executive Director of Pride Fund to End Gun Violence. “After losing her father to gun violence, Debbie has been a fierce advocate for common sense gun regulations in this country. She personally knows how devastating gun violence is and will be an essential voice in Congress in the fight for common sense gun reform,” said Lindsay.
Statement from Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, candidate for FL-26
“I am humbled and honored to have the endorsement from Pride Fund to End Gun Violence. I know what it’s like to get that devastating phone call after losing someone from gun violence and I will fight to make our communities safer to ensure that no one else has to face losing a loved one to gun violence. Working together I know we can achieve commonsense solutions to save lives,” said Mucarsel-Powell.
Debbie has spent her entire career fighting for the best possible future for Florida by standing up for healthcare, the environment, and common sense gun reform. Her personal connection to gun violence means that she will bring a strong and passionate voice to Congress in the fight against gun violence and will not be afraid to stand up to the gun lobby. She is committed to closing the gun show loophole, establishing universal background checks, and ensuring that guns do not fall into the hands of dangerous people. Debbie gives us a strong chance to flip FL-26, and help Democrats take back the U.S. House of Representatives.
Debbie’s opponent, Representative Carlos Curbelo, is a friend of the gun lobby and supports their dangerous agenda. He has consistently voted against common sense gun reform legislation:
- He held a B+ rating from the NRA, reflecting his close ties to their dangerous agenda.
- Has taken $7,450 in direct campaign checks from the NRA and the NRA spent over $67,000 on independent expenditure campaigns to help elect him.
- In April 2013, Curbelo tweeted “Gun restrictions won’t make children safer.”
- In Congress, he voted in 2017 to block the establishment of a Congressional committee on gun violence prevention.
- In Congress, he voted in 2017 against a rule keeping firearms out of the hands of people the Social Security Administration has designated as mentally ill.
- In Congress, he has voted five times against the Federal Government conducting research on gun violence.
- In Congress, he voted in 2015 against the expansion of background checks for gun purchases.
- In Congress, he has voted 22 times against keeping those on terrorist/no-fly lists from buying firearms.
- In 2014, Curbelo was the only school board member to vote for a measure supporting arming teachers.
Previous Florida Endorsements
During the 2018 election cycle in Florida, Pride Fund has previously endorsed Senator Bill Nelson for re-election to US Senate, Congresswoman Stephanie Murphy for re-election in FL-07; Congresswoman Val Demings for re-election in FL-10; Congressman Darren Soto for re-election in FL-09, candidate Lauren Baer in FL-18, Anna Eskamani for the state house in HD-47 and Carlos Guillermo Smith for the state house in HD-49.
About the Pride Fund to End Gun Violence
Pride Fund to End Gun Violence (“Pride Fund”) is the only national LGBTQ political organization focused solely on gun violence prevention. Pride Fund was founded by Jason Lindsay, a gay Iraq War veteran, in the days following the June 2016 mass shooting at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. When it occurred, the Pulse nightclub shooting was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. Pride Fund supports sensible gun policy reforms while championing LGBTQ safety and equality by advocating for legislation and supporting candidates at the state and federal levels.